And then I saw 2 cats


Wetsipon's development happened this way,  she read at around 2, could keyboard type an actual word with corresponding emoji pre-playschool (around 3,) and then struggled for her to write on pen and paper at playschool.  We had to push her for pencil skills as we did not want her to do another playschool and be accepted in Kinder.

Glad that I had a sister who is into child dev and asked us one question.  Is anybody at home writing on paper?  Being with 2 adults,  our household needed a lifestyle change,  we made an effort to forget Onenote, and Evernote and made an extra effort to write on paper.  I was a phone - tablet - laptop yielding corporate mom.  My hubby also only uses the phone, tablet, and desktop.  Things had to change.  Monkey sees monkey does.  

I was lucky to have an office near a paper warehouse where they consider manila paper-sized cuts of  (beautiful)  paper as spoilage I can take home. 

My ink-challenged learner started developing pencil skills,  and then started to draw.  Initially draw on everything but later tamed with my big paper spoils.  My dear is finally writing and drawing on paper.  Then the magic happened. 


Done 2016 approximately 5 y.o.

I saw this in one of her scratch notes.  It was sooo cute.  This was with some other robot like doodles,  I started to make available art materials so she can just play around whenever.

Then in a span of months, she made this.

Posted this March 2017 (done earlier) on Instagram which I started because I wanted to archive her work finally.


While this is happening we were almost rejected by a school to enroll in Nursery because of her pencil skills (actually it was more of a refusal to write on paper,  she can easily write on a tablet but we just couldn't convince her then to switch to paper.)  This assessment from regular school started me thinking about this templated style of learning may not be for us.  Or maybe this school we encountered is just not the type to apply the effort we made to find the solution. 

Every child's milestone is different.  Who would have thought this pen-challenged preschooler will be a slow start but then an achiever in her art after waiting for the proper time.

But anyway,  we did half a year of playschool,  half a year of Nursery (we transferred cities so we were allowed to enroll mid-year) that was considered by our Kinder school (after assessment), and up to grade 2 in regular school. 

We are grateful for the regular schools where Wetsipon spent her early school years.  It takes a village.


Links : Our handwriting journey :
https://bienbbandbaby.blogspot.com/2015/05/handwriting-learning-tools.html



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Music Journey So Far

Milestone Alert!