Oidoing Linux




The hardware part of the setup was actually a breeze,  this after a colleague sabotage sometime early 2000s when i was new in the IT industry,  new to my company and just in time for the annual local computex.  I was a fish out of water and a colleague assigned me in the front lines.  Ok,  my job was about marketing, but everybody knew i was not a CS grad,  and that my only claim to fame getting in the company is because i am a user of one of the specialized hardware they have,  an editing gadget coming fresh from my stint as an editor for iWitness.   Like i had a week to learn,  understanding the parts of the computer and then memorizing the specs that we were highlighting.  (He could have just assigned me to video cards or a motherboard or just 1 or 2 components but he just had to give em all,)  components plus the laptops, plus the barebones, plus the servers on our inventory,  Anyway knowledge is knowledge and for a person who hoards useless knowledge,  this knowledge template still comes in handy anyway.  So thanks.  (On this note,  i give props to these cdrking sales people who would have to learn the inventory landscape,  stock availability and minor technical advisory most of the time undermanned with a full queue of people relying on their support.) 

The booting the the os installation was easy enough because the RPi.   I am used to installing OSes starting in doing an upgrade of the Windows 3.11 to Windows 95.  The Raspberry.org site has a lot of resources regarding starting the Pi,  but after the booting to the GUI,  they seem to throw you to the sharks.  

So now comes software,  and i was truly clueless.  truly clueless.  My experience in linux was just with the first ASUS Eeepc in the country,  I helped launched the netbook craze in the Philippines.  It was a windows wannabe so i did not do any coding at all,  it was just like the windows, android and iOS way of click and install type it wasn’t much different.  But the Raspian being focused on education and building is forcing you how to code, and is not spoon-feeding you in the process.  

It was good to discover,  to come out of your comfort zone.  On the eve of the announced  availability of Windows 10 for free for the RPi,  it had me thinking.  Do i want this?  am i just doing an technology S and M?  Windows have been babying me since my first computer,  though I am using a Mac OS X nowadays,  our home laptop is still on Windows 8.  My previous tablets and phone were Androids,  prior to that I was on Windows Mobile/ Pocket PC,  I had a few Palm pilots and also had a Davinci,  Symbian, Java, Dos, and likewise played with a commodore 64.  I was not afraid of technology then,  i should not be afraid of it now.  

Googled my way to my first installation of a software (VLC) and will setup my basics into the system : Kodi, LibreOffice,  Chromium, will add Everpad, maybe an email client, Dropbox and I am all set.  Had a few misses on installation,  i am not sure if it was standard,  or my hit rate is ok but it seem to me this will be like a Geometry quiz,  once you know the theorems and postulates,  you will be doing fine.



Today on a rainy afternoon,  i have setup videos for my little one to enjoy.  on my Raspberry Pi with Kodi.  I am happy, i have setup something useful.  Off to the next adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Music Journey So Far

Milestone Alert!

And then I saw 2 cats